Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday morsel: the easy yoke (from John Ortberg)

Yesterday our pastor quoted from John Ortberg's book Soul Keeping. Ortberg is an author I like a lot:  I've read his books Jesus the One and Only, Everybody's Normal Until You Get to Know Them, and The Life You've Always Wanted.

I haven't read Soul Keeping yet, though, so I can't reproduce the quote directly from the book and can't remember it word-for-word from yesterday.  But I got this version from Ortberg's blog post entitled "Fighting Soul Fatigue": 

"The Bible uses the word 'easy' only once. It came from Jesus. 'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened … and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.' [Matthew 11:28-30]

‘Easy’ is a soul word, not a circumstance word. The soul was not made for an easy life. The soul was made for an easy yoke."

  

quote from http://www.johnortberg.com/fighting-soul-fatigue/

3 comments:

  1. That is the best insight on the easy yoke I've ever heard, Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very struck by it, too, Tim. I'm eager to read Ortberg's book now.

      Delete
    2. I agree. Impressive insight, Jeannie. Another fabulous quote for me to ponder for a long time! :-)

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)