Monday, November 04, 2013

Monday morsel: "summer and winter and springtime and harvest"

Today for my "Monday morsel" I thought I would post one of my favourite hymns.  I don't think it needs much commentary.

**** 
Great is Thy Faithfulness 

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide,
 Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow:
 Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

(photo by Richard Prinsen August 2013)


9 comments:

  1. Jeannie, this dear old hymn is the perfect way to start the week. I'm glad to have it on my mind. :-)

    Tim wrote about the importance of being faithful in the small things today. This song reminds me that it's only by God's great faithfulness to me that I am able to be faithful in anything. Wonderful connection!
    http://timfall.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/how-to-become-a-judge-my-path-to-the-bench/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adriana - I definitely won't miss my daily stop at Tim's place.

      I love the line "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow" -- what more do we need? I hope you experience that today!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much.

      BTW, Love the photo you used today! Beautiful!

      Delete
    3. Richard took that picture in PEI at my parents' farm in August. We have a very basic point-and-shoot camera that is mostly not very effective for low light or distance -- at least I haven't figured out how to make it work well in those contexts. But Rich just captured a perfect moment with the evening sun shining through that tree, and the old hay wagon. I love it too!

      Delete
  2. His presence not only guides us, but sheers us along the way. What a blessing. And all those starts up there? They aren't splashed around randomly; God placed them in their courses and knows just where they are going. He knows where we're going as well. Now there's a comfort, Jeannie.


    Thanks for having us open the hymnal today,
    Tim

    P.S. And thanks to Adriana for the shout-out in her comment too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers us, not sheers us. Although since we're his sheep, perhaps he shears us along the way sometimes too.

      Delete
    2. I bet He does shear us! (Kind of like Eustace in Voyage of the Dawn Treader having his dragon skin removed by Aslan.) That's not a baaaaad analogy at all, Tim.

      And I do like the thought of those stars being called by name and being exactly where God placed them -- that's so comforting.

      Delete
  3. This hymn is precious to me too. The Lord put it on my heart yesterday as I was feeling anxious about some medical tests I have coming up. As I was starting to give in to the fear He brought the stanza about "peace that endureth" to mind. He is so kind to comfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aleah, thanks for stopping by. You're right, there's so much in that song that we can cling to through all the seasons and all the highs and lows of life. I hope and pray all your tests, and any followup, bring good results.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)