Sunday, May 19, 2013

"No power of hell, no scheme of man"

This has been a sad week here in Ontario, and all of Canada, as we heard the news of the death of Tim Bosma.  Bosma, a 32-year-old husband and father, went out one evening with two men who wanted to test-drive the pickup truck he had for sale.  He never returned.  Several days later the truck was found and an arrest made.  Soon after, Bosma's burned body was found as well, and the suspect has been charged with first-degree murder.

The Bosma family attended Ancaster Christian Reformed Church in Ancaster, Ontario.  Heidi De Jonge of Westside CRC here in Kingston (our former church) has asked all CRC churches to sing "In Christ Alone" today, May 19, as a way to stand in solidarity with Bosma's family, friends, and church.  I contacted our church's music leader as well to ask if we might do the same.  Today thousands of people across North America will be singing this song.



In Christ Alone

In Christ alone my hope is found; He is my light, my strength, my song:
This Cornerstone, this solid ground, firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace, when fears are stilled, when strivings cease.
My Comforter, my All in All, here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone, who took on flesh:  fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness, scorned by the ones He came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died, the wrath of God was satisfied,
For every sin on Him was laid; here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay, Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious day, up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory, sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine - bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death:  this is the power of Christ in me.
From life's first cry to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man can ever pluck me from His hand.
Till He returns or calls me home, here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

 (lyrics Stuart Townend, Keith Getty)


2 comments:

  1. I told my wife about this on the way to church this morning and we prayed for this grieving family, Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim. I know many prayers have been said for them already and will be in the days and weeks to come. We don't know them and there's nothing we can do as such -- but it's so important to pray.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)