Saturday, May 07, 2022

Five Minute Friday: BOTH

 

 


Two weeks ago today my dad died. Now both of my parents are gone.

Dad lived in a nursing home in Charlottetown for the past two and a half years.  He had advanced kidney failure, so it was just a matter of a slow decline over the last year. I saw him in July 2021 when my brother Errol and I went to PEI for a week, and at that time he was still up in his chair every day, a little confused at times but still eager to see people. In March of this year he got Covid when an outbreak occurred at the nursing home. He wasn't terribly sick with it, but it may have added to his already weakening state. My brother Alan was with him and said Dad just slipped away quietly without distress or discomfort -- just the way he would have wanted to go.

The funeral was this past Friday. We spoke about the constancy of Dad's life -- his faith, his hard work, his humour, his devotion to his family. It seemed fitting to have both laughter and tears intermingled in the same moment. Dad had had a good life. He had loved and been loved. None of us had left anything unsaid or regretted.

At the funeral I read aloud this poem called "The House by the Side of the Road" by Sam Walter Foss. I can't remember when I first read it, but it has always made me think of Dad and of his patient acceptance of both the good and bad of life. 

The House by the Side of the Road

by Sam Walter Foss (1858-1911)

There are hermit souls that live withdrawn
In the place of their self-content;
There are souls, like stars, that dwell apart,
In a fellowless firmament;
There are pioneer souls that blaze their paths
Where highways never ran;
But let me live by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

Let me live in a house by the side of the road,
Where the race of men go by –
The men who are good and the men who are bad,
As good and as bad as I.
I would not sit in the scorner’s seat,
Or hurl the cynic’s ban;
Let me live in a house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

I see from my house by the side of the road,
By the side of the highway of life,
The men who press with the ardor of hope,
The men who are faint with the strife.
But I turn not away from their smiles nor their tears –
Both parts of an infinite plan;
Let me live in my house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

I know there are brook-gladdened meadows ahead
And mountains of wearisome height;
That the road passes on through the long afternoon
And stretches away to the night.
But still I rejoice when the travelers rejoice,
And weep with the strangers that moan,
Nor live in my house by the side of the road
Like a man who dwells alone.

Let me live in my house by the side of the road
Where the race of men go by –
They are good, they are bad, they are weak, they are strong,
Wise, foolish – so am I.
Then why should I sit in the scorner’s seat
Or hurl the cynic’s ban?
Let me live in my house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

 _____________________________________ 

 

Linking up today with the Five Minute Friday writing community, writing about the word BOTH


14 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughtful poem about someone who made the world a better place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. This poem was my father’s favorite poem also. He died at 92 in October of 2018. Such an encouraging way to look at how much we are all alike. Thank you for bringing it to mind
    My condolences upon the loss of your father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much -- and my condolences on your loss as well.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know this poem before - thank you Jennie.
    May God bless you in your bereavement with the comfort of more memories and the legacy your dad has left you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Liz, for reading and commenting. Take care!

      Delete
  4. Jeannie, I'm so sorry you lost your precious Dad. That's a huge loss, but I'm glad you're able to hold both laughter and grief at once. It's hard to do both, but definitely better. I love the poem. Thanks for sharing. Your FMF neighbour at #3 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being here, Kath -- I appreciate your coming by to read and comment.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss, Jeannie. Thank you for this beautiful tribute to your Dad.

    Thanks for the poem, too. I had never come across it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tuija – it's so nice to hear from you!

      Delete
  6. Jeannie, I am so sorry for your loss.

    They pass on into the mist,
    and our view of them is gone
    in time's cruel and brutal twist,
    but our days must yet go on,
    short a player on the team,
    lacking that beloved voice,
    seen now only in a dream,
    but we still can have no choice
    but to walk on down the road
    upon which there is no turn-back,
    each step adding to the load,
    but we gain the strength we lack
    in the memories we find
    from the love they left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Andrew – it's beautiful.

      Delete
  7. My sympathies, dear Jeannie, on the loss of your dad. I loved the poem, and also thought of YOU when I read it. Your dad taught you well! You are also a person who is loving and accepting of others, and a friend to all. Bless you! Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maureen. We were driving along Taylor Kidd yesterday and I thought how long it's been since we had a walk and talk. Let's do that soon.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)