Saturday, December 04, 2021

Five Minute Friday: EXPECTATION

 Today I'm linking up with the Five Minute Friday community, writing for five minutes on a given prompt.

This week's word is EXPECTATION.

One thing the Covid-19 pandemic has taught us is to hold our expectations lightly. 

Something hopeful in us urges us to make plans, so we do -- but there's always some kind of caveat, spoken or unspoken, in the background, like 

"Assuming we don't have new pandemic guidelines." 

"If things don't change in the meantime." 

"As long as we're still allowed to do that kind of thing." 

"We might feel differently when it gets closer to the time." 

The certainty we used to have about how things will work out is a lot more tenuous now.

We're approaching a second Covid Christmas. (Who would have expected that, a year ago?) Christmas comes with its own special set of expectations around socializing, gift-giving, travel, church ... it can feel overwhelming at the best of times.

This year I think one of the best gifts we can give each other, and ourselves, is the gift of lightly-held expectations. After all, any sense of control we had was an illusion -- surely Covid's taught us that too.

It's hard to accept changed traditions and scaled-back or abandoned plans. But in a way, I think we honour those who have suffered from or lost loved ones to this awful virus, and those working tirelessly to protect us from it, if we stop assuming our plans have to be perfectly executed and just acknowledge that we can't do it all, have it all, be all things to all people. It's OK to release our grip on expectations. And the truth is, other people may not be at all disappointed in us when we do -- they're often relieved and grateful. Sometimes the expectations are really all in our own minds.

Today I was reading this Bible passage:

"When the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son,
born of woman, born under the law,

to redeem those who were under the law,
so that we might receive adoption as his children."

Galatians 4:4-5

Isn't "the fullness of time" a beautiful phrase? God's plan unfolding just as it should, when it should. Expectations fulfilled at just the right juncture in history.

In this Advent season, let's hold our expectations lightly ... and our hope tightly.

11 comments:

  1. I think that lesson of learning that we're not in control is one we probably have to keep learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely. Thank you for stopping by to read and comment, Liz.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for pointing out that verse in Galatians and the fullness of time. That is very encouraging! FMF#28

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlene Toews JanzenDecember 4, 2021 at 9:46 PM

    Just what I needed to hear. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Marlene! And I really appreciate your coming by to read.

      Delete
  4. So true what you wrote, that any sense of control is an illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I stopped by today! Your message was very timely for me. To hold my expectations loosely and realize as I age that I can't do it all or be all things to all people. I find it hard to let go of friends from the past but your blog helps me feel connected to a precious friend from long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda, it's lovely to hear from you. Michael W. Smith said "Friends are friends forever," and while I have learned that that is not true, I've also learned that with some relationships there is always a thread that can be picked up to connect us again. Blessings to you and Rick and your whole family this Christmas.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jeannie, Thank you for the thread.....your blog.....which makes it possible to reconnect again. I am inspired by your life, your writing and your blog. Amazing that you have kept it up so long! I wish you well in your change of vocations. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)