Friday, April 19, 2019

Five Minute Good Friday: NEXT


Today I'm linking up with the Five Minute Friday community, writing for five minutes on a given prompt. 

This week's word is NEXT.




I look out my window. The sky is whitish-gray, with darker gray clouds moving across it. Gusts of wind scatter leaves and debris across the street.

We are expecting rain today. It is supposed to start sometime this morning and rain all day and into tomorrow: 30-60 millimetres total before it's all done.

The forecast for Sunday is much better, though.


I wish we could skip the next two rainy, gloomy days and just go straight to Sunday.

Sometimes I feel the same way about Good Friday. It would be so much easier to just skip these next two days -- the increasing darkness and suffering of Good Friday, the silence and emptiness of Easter Saturday -- and go straight to the joy and celebration of Easter Sunday.

But the way of Jesus is through: not around, not over, not under, but through. He walks the road of suffering. He doesn't take a shortcut past the hard parts, the pain and desolation, to get straight to the triumph.

So we wait with him now and over the next hours and days. 

We wait in sorrow and hope. 

We go through.



16 comments:

  1. "But the way of Jesus is through: not around, not over, not under, but through." I don't think I've ever been touched more deeply by a FMF post than these words touched me this morning. How often have I also wanted to skip the hard part and get to the blessing? Your post was both a rebuke and an encouragement to me this morning. Thank you! I needed this. --Your FMF neighbor #16, Angela Rueger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that my post touched you, Angela. Thanks for taking the time to read it and leave a comment. I am going to "drop by" your blog to read your post as well! - Jeannie

      Delete
  2. It is easier to skip over the sad and gloomy sometimes, but it is important, especially on Good Friday, to reflect on the hard parts and remember that they are important too. It's so true that often we have to go through the difficult to get to the good on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so true, Lesley. Thank you for reading and commenting - and may your Good Friday and Easter observances be very meaningful.

      Delete
  3. Good Friday is hard...for sure. But we certainly wouldn't want to skip over it (or remembering it) - makes the victory of Easter so much more powerful and wonderful.

    Now - about this non-stop downpour??!

    Have a wonderful and blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You as well, Jennifer. Yes, the rain shows no signs of stopping anytime soon!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for being here, Tara. May your Good Friday and Easter observances be full of blessing and meaning.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth. Really appreciate your taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete
  6. Excellent post Jeannie! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there were no Good Friday
    how could we bear our lives?
    It's not prosperity holiday
    where everybody thrives.
    We're all tasked to endure
    a hopeless living hell,
    and we're none of us so pure
    that we can do this well.
    But we follow in the footsteps
    down the Sorrow Road
    of He who lifts our contremps
    and shares our heavy load.
    The joy that Easter's based upon
    is watered by a bloody dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannie, I was so touched by the comment you left on my blog after my first Five-Minute Friday attempt. My mom died the evening of Good Friday, so any thoughts of doing my neighborly duty at FMF just sort of went out the window for a while, as I'm sure you understand! You're so right ... the way of Jesus is "through" ... and I'm so glad He is with us for every step. Blessings, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you, Lois - so sorry about your mom. It is such a difficult adjustment to lose a parent, yet everyone's experience is unique. God bless you and your family through these days.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)