Friday, March 29, 2019

Five Minute Friday - MEASURE


Today I'm linking up with the Five Minute Friday community, writing for five minutes on a given prompt. 

This week's word is MEASURE.

________________________ 


For the past few years I've been struggling with double vision. It's something I've always had a bit of trouble with: whenever I was having my eyes tested and the eye doctor would show me two separate images and ask me to tell him when they merged into one, I found it very difficult -- and the problem has only gotten worse.

Several months ago I was referred to an opthalmologist who specializes in strabismus (misaligned eyes); she told me I  have a "moderate misalignment." The options, from least to most invasive, are (1) to put prisms in my glasses, which I already have; (2) Botox injections, which numb/plump the eye muscle and need to be done every 3-4 months; or (3) surgery to adjust the eye muscles and straighten out the eyes. I've decided to go for the surgery, so last week I got started on the process for that.

The first step was to be fitted with a Fresnel prism. I had an appointment with an orthoptist at the opthalmology clinic and she did all kinds of tests and measurements on my eyes.


Fresnel prism on right lens of my glasses. I already have 
very thick lenses because of nearsightedness, but the prism 
is very, very thin. You can see the ridges at top.

Here is what the Fresnel prism looks like when it's on. It is a thin flexible plastic film, smooth on one side and ridged on the other. The orthoptist cut it to fit my glasses; the smooth side sticks to the inside of one lens, with water -- sort of like a removable window decal.

This is what I am looking through with my right eye.

When I have this prism on my glasses and look into the distance, it fuses the two images into one -- so I no longer see two clocks, or two stop signs, or two of the same person coming toward me. That part is awesome.

 It feels pretty strange, though: I'm constantly looking through these tiny ridges, and they create quite a glare. The lens also gives a slightly curved effect, so there's a bit of a fishbowl sensation. But after a week I'm getting used to it, and I'm very much appreciating the improvement in distance vision. The idea is that I use this prism for several weeks/months to see if it will keep my eyes from turning in, so that surgery can then be performed.

The big downside is that the prism interferes with my close-up vision. It's a lot harder to work on the computer (it's like I'm staring through glasses that have had Vaseline smeared on one lens), and I pretty much have to remove my glasses altogether to read. Considering how much of my day is spent reading and working on the computer, this is a major bummer.

But I'm determined to see this through -- no pun intended. And hopefully, the eventual outcome will be measurably improved vision.


9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you've been having trouble with your vision but I'm glad you have some steps to take. Hopefully it will all be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really hoping it will be, Lesley. My optometrist thinks it will be "life-changing," so I am being as optimistic as possible. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Praying for the surgery and that you get some relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tara; I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrew - and so glad to have you here today.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this, Jeannie! I think this might explain something that I've been experiencing lately - I'd better get it checked out! Let me know when you are having the surgery, so I can bring you a meal or something. Bless you! Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maureen! I have no idea when it will be but I will remember your offer! I think we should have coffee again soon actually. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)