Saturday, November 03, 2018

Five Minute Friday: REPEAT



I'm linking up with Five Minute Friday, writing for five minutes on a given prompt. This week's word is REPEAT.


A few years ago I wrote a children's story called "Peter Repeater."

It's about a little boy named Peter who repeats everything other people say. 

He repeats what his parents say.

He repeats what his older siblings and his baby brother say.

He repeats what his classmates say.

He repeats what his teacher and principal say.

He annoys EVERYBODY with his repetition, and he won't stop.

I said, he annoys EVERYBODY with his repetition, and he won't stop.

Then one day his teacher takes the day off (trust me, she needs it) and his class gets a substitute teacher.

Peter tries his repeating ways on this new teacher -- but he gets more than he bargained for. The teacher says so many long, complicated sentences, with such big, silly words in them, that Peter can't keep up. Finally he has to admit he's met his match. His new teacher just isn't repeat-able.

There are lots of people out there doing what everybody else is doing. But you can stop others in their tracks by being original.

Thinking outside the box.

Going where no one has gone before.

It's so freeing when you realize you can just BE. You don't have to be a repeater.



13 comments:

  1. This sounds like an awesome children's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! I submitted it to a couple of places with no success, but I think I may try again. I hadn't thought of it for a while actually, but the prompt brought it to mind.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Traci! Appreciate your taking the time to read and comment.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun story with a good message!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun story! I'll bet it was fun to read out loud, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this welcome nudge to be authentic, original ... and maybe a bit out of the box, Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Not that I really do that on a regular basis: I really am more a creature of habit. So I suppose I'm talking to myself as much as anyone else.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement, Stephanie! And thanks for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a cute kid's story from a book! It made me smile. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for taking the time to read and comment, Lee Ann!

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)