Friday, July 28, 2017

Five Minute Friday: INSPIRE





Today I'm joining the Five Minute Friday community again, writing for five minutes on a given prompt. This week's word is INSPIRE.

**************

I was trying to think recently of what we had last summer that is missing this summer, and then it came to me ....

No, I don't mean heat, although that's true, too. I mean the Olympics. 

When we were on vacation out east last summer, we stayed at my aunt's house and spent a lot of our time in the evening watching the Olympics. Sports competition can be so inspiring. Athletes give everything they have to be the best in their sport. They train, they practice, they sacrifice -- just for that chance to be on the podium.

One of my favourite movies of all time is Chariots of Fire. (SPOILER ALERT if you haven't seen it -- though it is 36 years old.)

It's set in the 1924 Paris Olympics and tells the parallel stories of two British runners: Harold Abrahams and Eric Liddell. 


Abrahams is Jewish and is driven to prove himself in a society where he feels looked-down upon.


Liddell is a Christian who postpones missionary work in China so that he can compete in Paris -- only to find out that his heat is on a Sunday. When he refuses to participate, a teammate who has already won a medal gives up his spot in a different race so that Liddell can run. Liddell wins his race, and Abrahams wins his.  

There are so many inspiring moments in this film: it contains all the courage, strength, sacrifice, and determination that the Olympics have come to symbolize. 

But I especially love Liddell's words to his sister, who is worried that he is focused more on running than on mission work:

"I believe that God made me for a purpose -- for China. But He also made me fast -- and when I run, I feel His pleasure."

****************

If you've never seen this movie, I'd highly recommend it. One of the best parts is the iconic opening scene showing the British team running on the beach. Click on the video below to watch it. 





 

11 comments:

  1. HI, Jeannie. I have vague recollections of the Chariots of Fire movie from my childhood. I do recall the song though as I learned it in piano class.
    What's your favorite competition in the Olympics? I like gymnastics and swimming. Curling was an interesting event as well (if only for the pants). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. I always enjoy track and field and swimming the best.

      Delete
  2. I'll have to check this movie out. A funny lighthearted movie is about Special Olympics called the "Ringer!" I love watching the Olympics too! I'm in the 7 spot this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. Chariots of Fire came out 36 years ago -- probably before your time!
      :-D

      Delete
  3. My favorite character in the movie is Lord Andrew Lindsay, the one who gave his race to Eric Liddel. Lindsay plays it off casually in the film, but can you imagine what that would have meant in real life for an Olympic runner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that character, too - such a playboy, yet with a good heart. He "only" got a silver in his race so he was giving up his only chance for gold by giving Liddell his spot.

      By the way, did you note the double Downton Abbey connection in that scene? Lord Lindsay is the fortune-hunting Lord Hepworth in DA's Season 2 Christmas special. And the Duke of Sutherland (the man who talks about how Liddell's running is an extension of himself) is Rose's father, Shrimpie Flintshire.


      Delete
  4. Ahhh, Jeannie. I LOVE that movie. And that line? Yes and amen. I LOVE that too. Eric Liddell was such an amazing man, and that movie truly is inspiring. I enjoyed how you tied in the Olympics and Chariots of Fire into your post.

    Beautifully stated. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne. Can you believe that movie is 36 years old?? I saw it in the theatre, the year it came out and won best picture. I think I have watched it at least 7 or 8 times.

      Delete
  5. That's a really great connection to writing, Stephanie. Keeping on trying, even through setbacks, is important no matter what skill we're talking about. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeannie, I'm only reading this today, and I imagine in just a few hours, you'll be posting another FMF post. :) But I smiled today at the word "inspire." I loved that movie as well. Yes, athletes can teach us so much. Blessings on your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the post -- and the movie. It is one of our all-time favourites.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)