Monday, April 25, 2016

"We're flying!"


This past weekend I watched this YouTube video that Ann Voskamp shared on her blog as part of her weekend collection of uplifting content.

It's a 5-minute video of Irish pilot Michael McMahon taking his little brother Robbie on his first airplane flight.


 There's not much to it, really. There are no "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS AT 3:12" or "WHEN I SAW WHAT HAPPENED NEXT, MY JAW LITERALLY DROPPED!" moments ... no death-defying rolls or flips in the air ... no emergency landing. Still, I bet that once you've watched it, you'll want to see it again.

I think what's so special about this clip is that it captures all of the good things in life:
  • Adventure. What could be more exciting for two brothers than flying in a plane?
  • Companionship. I love it when little Robbie says things like "Booza-booza" and Michael says "Booza-booza" right back. They've clearly had these conversations before.
  • Trust. Note Robbie's body language. He never flinches, never tenses up and holds on, never seems fearful of a noise or movement; he just enters into the experience without question, happily assuming that whatever his big brother does will be just fine.
  • Patience. Robbie keeps saying "Mikey?" "Mikey?" and his brother answers patiently every time. (I can relate: well, to the repetition part, if not always the patient reply part.)
  • Simplicity. Robbie is thrilled to be in the plane, but also looks forward just to having dinner with Daddy and Mikey.
  • Love. That's obvious throughout, but they still say it in words: "I love you." "I love you too, buddy." So sweet!!!
  • Joy. The expressions on their faces at 1:40 say it all: life is good when you're doing something fun with somebody you love.
I hope you enjoy this video as much as I did. And remember: "Sing a happy happy happy happy happy happy song."

4 comments:

  1. I watched the video but something must have gotten in my eyes because now they're all watery. Stupid allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "happy happy." Thanks for sharing this. I should be as happy as this little guy is about getting dinner today. :-) I can't drive a helicopter, but I do get to drive a car, and that's pretty neat too, when you think about it, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it is! Thanks for stopping by, Betsy.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)