Saturday, October 30, 2010

I must be crazy ...

Starting on Monday, Nov. 1 I plan to make my second attempt at the annual world-wide phenomenon called National Novel Writing Month, also known as NaNoWriMo. What this means is that I am going to try to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I tried NaNo for the first time 3 years ago and wrote 21,000 words. This year I am going to try to write a draft of the t/w/een novel simmering in my brain: Paige Turner, Reluctant Writer. It's about a girl named Paige Turner who does everything she can to avoid becoming a writer like her famous dad.

The NaNo experts say that one way to keep you motivated to plod on throughout the month is to tell everyone you know that you are going to try this; that way, you feel so guilty about the prospect of disappointing everyone that you pull all-nighters, overdose on coffee, etc. etc., all in an effort to grind out those 50,000 words. Well, since I can probably count on one hand the people who regularly read this blog, I can take comfort from the fact that if I fail I'll only disappoint five people. :-)

Anyway, I'll give an update every week as to how I'm doing.

Did I mention I must be crazy? ...

4 comments:

  1. No, you're not crazy......the idea is crazy but at least it gets you writing. Can't wait to read some more of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda, thanks for the address; I've actually checked out Alison's blog quite frequently lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on taking the plunge and committing yourself to this worthy goal! I'll be cheering you on for sure. Hope you'll keep us posted on your progress! Go go go!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)