Monday, April 08, 2013

Monday morsel: "it is joy that saves us"

Our book study group read and discussed Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts in February.  Here is one of my favourite quotations:

"I know there is poor and hideous suffering, and I've seen the hungry and the guns that go to war.  I have lived pain, and my life can tell:  I only deepen the wound of the world when I neglect to give thanks for early light dappled through leaves and the heavy perfume of wild roses in early July and the song of crickets on humid nights and the rivers that run and the stars that rise and the rain that falls and all the good things that a good God gives.  Why would the world need more anger, more outrage?  How does it save the world to reject unabashed joy when it is joy that saves us?  Rejecting joy to stand in solidarity with the suffering doesn't rescue the suffering.  The converse does. 


The brave who focus on all things good and all things beautiful and all things true, even in the small, who give thanks for it and discover joy even in the here and now, they are the change agents who bring fullest Light to all the world.  

 


When we lay the soil of our hard lives open to the rain of grace and let joy penetrate our cracked and dry places, let joy soak into our broken skin and deep crevices, life grows.  How can this not be the best thing for the world?  For us?  The clouds open when we mouth thanks."

2 comments:

  1. This is a way of living that I am trying to take hold of! I've always been an optimist for the most part, but for some time now I've been battling discouraging thoughts on a frequent basis. I truly want to be one of those brave souls who focuses on the good and lets joy penetrate my cracked dry places. Thank you so much for this, friend. :)

    I imagine it must have been encouraging to study One Thousand Gifts with your book study group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome. No one else had ever read it and since I made the suggestion and was leading the discussion I was a bit nervous about how they'd like it -- especially her unique style. But they loved it! We also watched a short interview with her from the 100 Huntley St. tv show which added another dimension to our discussion. I've found her book personally helpful as well because I definitely am the type who tends to see the down side. But I think that's changing. I hope. And the beauty of community is that when one person is discouraged, others who are stronger at that moment can come alongside and bring strength and encouragement. Like those 2 little hockey-player guys on my earlier post. (You know, I think they've had as much impact on me as ANYTHING I've seen or read lately!)

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)