Sunday, November 21, 2021

Five Minute Friday: HIDE

Today I'm linking up with the Five Minute Friday community, writing for five minutes on a given prompt. 

This week's word is HIDE.

 

image CBC.ca

 

The other day I went for a walk, and on my way home I met a woman walking a dog. I didn't realize until we got closer that it was a woman I knew from church: not a close friend, but someone I'd always found very easy to talk to and have had good conversations with. 

She said with a big smile, "How are you?" and I said, "Well, to be honest..." 

We stood there for about ten minutes, talking. I told her how tough it's been these past few months with Jonathan's seizures -- how he has gone from having 2 or 3 a year to having 15 in the past five months, and how he fell during a seizure at school this week and was taken to the emergency department by ambulance. He is fine, with no serious aftereffects of his fall, and his doctor is working with us trying to get the right combination of medication to control the seizures. But it's been very stressful.

So I told her all this. Then we segued into talking about what our kids were up to in general, church stuff, how we were handling Covid, etc.

When we parted ways, she said, "It's good to actually TALK to people, to tell them our s**t when they ask us how we're doing."

She's right. It's a real temptation to just hide our stress and anxiety behind a casual "I'm fine." To be honest, sometimes that's what the other person expects anyway; they meant "How are you" as a pleasantry and weren't expecting a full report. But in this case I took the chance because I knew this woman would be interested, and we had a really life-giving conversation.

Covid-19 has been isolating; following distancing protocols is appropriate, of course, but on a deeper level we can easily get in the habit of hiding in our homes and behind our masks. Taking the time to ask someone how they're really doing, and answering honestly when we're asked, takes some of that isolation away.


14 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love this! We’ve become to accustomed hiding behind a quick answer of “fine” even when we’re not. Sharing our burdens makes them lighter in some ways. I hope Jonathan’s doctor can on find the perfect answer for him! Take care Jeannie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, Cindy -- it's always nice to connect with you! I've been very inactive with FMF (and on my blog in general) lately, but I'd like to change that.

      Delete
  2. This is an important word, Jeannie. Wonderful personal story helping us see how less alone we feel when we can truly share what’s going on and it be received. That’s what friendship is. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too, Lindsay - thanks so much for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Love this Jeannie.
    We all need a friend we can share with.
    Saying a prayer for Jonathan and that the Lord would give his doctor Divine wisdom and insight as to how to control the seizures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This touches me in the heart, Jeannie. Thank you. I always feel like you stop to listen when I’m talking about hard stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that, Tim. I'm also VERY glad you stopped by to read and comment! You are much missed on the interwebz -- every once in a while someone starts a "You know who I really miss? Tim" thread everyone kinda goes "Yeah...." very wistfully.

      Delete
    2. I miss you (and a few others) a lot, Jeannie. Then again, you and I know we are only an email away from each other and I’m glad we’ve taken advantage of that!

      Delete
  5. You ask me how it's going,
    I tell you that I'm fine,
    all the while both knowing
    that I'm baldly lying.
    You see the lump along my throat,
    you hear the laboured breath,
    and it seems to me my vote
    doesn't count much 'gainst my death,
    but, friend, there is another hand
    on which are counted joys,
    and I have come to understand
    the choice that one employs,
    to see my life as prison bars,
    or as a blessing, crowned with stars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeannie,thank you so much for writing this. Loved reading it. I hope and pray that the doctor can find a combination of meds that are effective for Jonathan soon! It is helpful to other people that you shared this -(ALL of us!)- and I'm sure it's helpful for you to express your take on the word HIDE through this story. I think you are so right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia – I appreciate you so much. You're a true friend.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)