Monday, October 09, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving 2017




Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian (and those who wish they were!) friends and family. 

Yesterday in church we sang one of my favourite hymns, "Great is Thy Faithfulness." The second verse says

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love.

What a beautiful image: the changing seasons, the stars and planets, all of nature are witnesses to God's faithfulness and join us in praising Him.

Pastor Mark's sermon yesterday emphasized that what is fixed and immovable must be the basis for our thanksgiving. God is that fixed and immovable foundation. Thanking Him in all things, and then answering His call to love others and help those in need, should be our response.



2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Jeannie. I love the words of that hymn myself. So beautiful. I just called up a Canadian friend on the phone here in Turkey when I saw your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice, Betsy! :-) Thanks for the good wishes, and for stopping by to read.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)