Monday, July 29, 2013

Monday morsel: moving the world's wheels

I realized that with all the Monday morsels I've shared so far, I have not yet included my favourite quotation of all.  

There are many, many people out there in the world doing quiet, essential work behind the scenes -- work that makes this world a better place even if it's rarely seen or noticed.  So while this actual quotation from The Fellowship of the Ring refers to Frodo's quest to return the Ring to Mount Doom so that it can be destroyed, I think it has a far broader application.  

So if you're working away faithfully in the background today and wondering what your efforts amount to, remember this:

"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:  small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

2 comments:

  1. "deeds that move the wheels of the world"

    Done by small hands because those are the ones God chooses most often to carry out his work. Mere servants wear crowns in God's kingdom because the Great Servant is there our King.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me of that song "Servant King" that we used to sing back in the 80's -- Richard and I had it as one of our wedding songs. Following Jesus means serving as He served, because He served.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)