Friday, November 15, 2019

Five Minute Friday: UNKNOWN


For the first time in a while, I'm linking up with the Five Minute Friday community, writing for five minutes on a given prompt.

This week's word is UNKNOWN.

************************

There's a thing going around Twitter right now that says,


There's only ONE MONTH left in the decade. 
What have you accomplished?

When I first read this question I thought, OK, what goals did I set for myself and meet? What projects did I embark on and finish? What aspirations did I strive toward and reach? And I realized I didn't have many of those. 

There were a few small things, like writing poems and having a few of them published. That was gratifying.

But the things that stand out in my mind from the past ten years aren't achievements; rather, they're life-altering passages in my and my family's life:
  • My mom's illness, cancer diagnosis, and death in 2014.
  • The sale of our family farm.
  • The loss (and partial restoration) of a significant relationship.
  • The death of my uncle this summer.
  • My dad's hospitalization this summer and subsequent move to a nursing home last month.

A decade ago these were all unknowns. I could never have predicted even one of those things -- and I wouldn't have wanted to. Now they're in the past, but they aren't completely over and done with. They've had a shaping effect. They've reminded me of what is really important in life: love and relationships. They've reminded me to help when I can and to accept help when it's offered. They've reminded me that in the valley of the shadow -- the valley of the unknown -- God is with us.

I'm not going to list my decade's worth of accomplishments on Twitter. Instead, I'm going to enjoy the people in my life and do the work I'm called to do, recognizing that the coming decade will have many unknowns of its own to be faced and walked through.




9 comments:

  1. I love this - enjoy the people in my life and do the work I'm called to do.
    great advice, my friend.

    blessings, Teresa Lasher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by to read and comment, Teresa!

      Delete
  2. Jeannie, I'm so glad you're here! I've MISSED you!

    Another decade's come and gone,
    and really, what's been done?
    A few more thousand days upon
    this circuit 'round the sun.
    The moon has risen every day,
    crescent, full, and waning;
    sometimes new, but on the way
    to a telescopic entertaining.
    Ten winters has Orion come,
    ten times the Perseids flamed
    Mars' opposition five times brung,
    and most stars are yet un-named.
    A decade's cares of man must fade
    against the wonders God has made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew - I hadn't written an FMF post since August so it feels good to get back to it. Did you write that sonnet?? It's wonderful.

      Delete
    2. Jeannie, I'm so glad you lied the poem. I wrote it especially for this post.

      For some reason I've decided to make the Shakespearean sonnet my own, and have written about two thousand of the things this year - why, I have no idea.

      Delete
    3. Well, seeing the ones in your post, and the one here, I think it's a very worthwhile endeavour. So good.

      Delete
  3. Yes,the unknown. A week ago we had no idea that Arven was so sick that he would die. Please pray for Jamie, he is in despair and saying that he will never be okay again. Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, I am so very sorry about this loss - and so sorry that Jamie has this added sorrow in his life. Praying for comfort for all of you. XO

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)