Friday, March 30, 2018

Five Minute Friday: SETTLE


Today I'm linking up with Five Minute Friday, writing for five minutes on a given prompt. This week's word: SETTLE.



Last night I entered the darkened church and settled into a seat. I had arrived a few minutes before our Maundy Thursday service was to begin. There was quiet music playing and a notice on the screen inviting us to sit quietly in preparation for worship.

Images and directions on the screen guided us through the service. At one point a picture of a basin and a towel appeared, and parts of the Scripture passage from John 13 about Jesus washing the disciples' feet were shown: 


Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist.  After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”

“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”

Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”

“Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well.”

Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean.

When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am.  Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."

 The instructions on the screen directed us to reflect on the passage. As we did so, the sound of water being poured into a basin could be heard over and over and over again. I imagined Jesus pouring water from a jug into a basin, kneeling before one of his friends and washing his feet, then dumping the water out and pouring in fresh water before moving on to the next man. 

Then I imagined Jesus kneeling before me and performing this humble service.

"Maundy" comes from the word "mandate" -- and the washing of the disciples' feet symbolized Jesus' new mandate for his followers. 

Jesus knew that the end was coming; soon he would be arrested, beaten, and crucified. Yet at this moment, his priority was not to strategize with his disciples, or distribute arms and supplies so that they could protect themselves. His priority was to show his disciples what true love is -- and to demonstrate this, he settled on the most menial act of service: washing the hot, sweaty, grubby feet of his friends.

Love is humbly and sacrificially serving others. Even those who might betray or deny us. Even those who already have. 

I can't stop thinking about this: the sound of the water pouring over and over into the bowl, and the realization of Jesus' love being poured out over and over for me -- an ordinary, flawed person, yet one whom He calls friend.


**********************

16 comments:

  1. You painted a vivid picture for me of Jesus showing love versus protecting himself. Well written. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Annette - I appreciate your being here.

      Delete
  2. Did you secretly read my sermon from last night? I talked about how Jesus loves and washes the feet of these two who will betray and deny him. Jesus shows us a kind of love that we strive to live up too. As a deacon, Maundy Thursday is one of my fave days of the church year. The symbol is basin and towel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to hear that, Tara. I think it is so good to focus on this act of service separately from the Last Supper and the crucifixion, because it is such an important scene in its own right, and has so much to tell us about who Jesus is and who he calls us to be.

      Delete
    2. i can't imagine what it must have felt like to the disciples to have Him wash their feet! by then, they realized who He was...at least to a large degree. Peter put it into words when He told Jesus not to wash His feet. we need to realize the power of love and humility...not as a gimmick, but as a true lifestyle. it so goes against our nature doesn't it? at least it does mine!

      Delete
    3. Yes, it does. As another writer I read earlier this week pointed out, the disciples were more interested in getting Jesus to guarantee them a good spot in the Kingdom, or making grand claims about their own faithfulness, than in being taught a lesson in humble, sacrificial love. And I am no different. Thanks for reading and commenting, Martha, and I hope your Holy Week experience is truly blessed.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful way to approach this; I'm humbled by Jesus' love, and by your skill in describing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Barb and Andrew. God bless you today.

      Delete
  4. Jeannie, you wrote this so beautifully that I too, can hear the water being poured into the basin. It’s overwhelming and hard to grasp what Jesus did for us and how he did it! Pouring His love out for me.....Hallelujah! Thanks for this inspiring message, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cindy. I hope your Holy Week observances are really meaningful for you this weekend.

      Delete
  5. Wonderfully depicted, Jeannie. I felt like I was sitting in that church service. Jesus' preparations for his death were interesting choices. He served his followers by washing their feet, then sat with them at a meal to enjoy fellowship. Serving, eating together, serving, eating together. It's not a bad rhythm of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Tim. I wonder if any of the disciples thought, "Uh ... IS THIS IT? We know something terrible is about to happen, and this is what you're focusing on right now?" We so often miss the point -- at least till afterward when it sinks in.

      Delete
  6. What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. --- with the knowing comes the settling

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a powerful way to convey Jesus' love for us. Thank you for sharing your Maundy Thursday experience with us, Jeannie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it spoke to you, Vicki. Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)