Friday, May 26, 2017

Five Minute Friday: VISIT



Linking up today with Kate Motaung at Five Minute Friday

This week's word: VISIT.



 ************


I've only been managing one blog post a week lately: my Five Minute Friday posts. It's been a busy month, and I've found it hard to settle to do much writing. But when I saw this week's prompt, visit, I knew I had to make time for this one.

This Sunday Allison and I are leaving for PEI to visit my dad (and my brother and other relatives too, of course). We are going to take the train and have booked a sleeper cabin for overnight; we've never done that before, so we're looking forward to the adventure. 

For the six nights we're in PEI we'll be staying in a motel just a couple of blocks from my dad and brother's apartment. That will allow us to go back and forth easily and not require a car for most of our visit. 

I just realized this will be the first time since I moved away from PEI over 30 years ago that I have gone back and not stayed at our family home or with relatives.

There have been so many changes in our family these last three years since my mom died. My dad now lives in an apartment, having moved for the very first time in his life at the age of 80. Our family farm will likely pass into the hands of new owners this summer; that transaction will truly be the closing of a door. 

All of us -- Dad especially -- have had to face the challenge of finding a new normal. What we all called "home" is just not the same anymore. But we can still visit, share memories, and savour the time we have with the people we love.




Our family home in PEI 
(photo Alycia Adams-MacEachern, Oct. 2014)

19 comments:

  1. Happy Friday! I hope y'all have a good visit. And I'm glad I linked up next to you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kristin. Glad you stopped by today.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jeannie,
    We visited PEI in 1981 - rained all the time but we loved it anyway. I did end up in Charlottetown hospital with an asthma attack though. :(
    What a beautiful farm and history. I am sure people would love to know stories of your growing up days there.
    May you have a wonderful trip.
    Blessings
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janis. So happy to have connected with you today!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post and the pictures. It looks so peaceful. :-) I've always wanted to visit PEI. Hopefully one day I'll be able to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is well worth the trip, Sue (wherever you're coming from!). I hope you are able to do it someday. I appreciate your reading and commenting today.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your trip! I enjoy traveling on the train. That's how I traveled throughout seminary. I'm over in the 3 spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New normals can be hard. Your dad, and all of you, are in my prayers.

    I do have to admit a bit of envy over the rail trip...with a sleeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents travelled that way several times when visiting us in Ontario but this excursion will be a first for me & my daughter, so we are excited. Thanks for your comment and prayers, Andrew.

      Delete
  6. Change can be tough as each generation moves into a new season. But it sounds like you are planning well and to make some new kinds of memories, perhaps traditions, in this first-of-its-kind trip back home. Blessings on you as you travel and visit. -Alice, "visit"-ing from spot 5 at FMF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alice: I appreciate your words and your stopping by to read and comment.

      Delete
  7. A train ride with a sleeper car! How exciting! I did this once with my mom from Istanbaul to Ankara 25 years ago. :) Grace to you as you continue to find the new normal. Hope your visit to your dad goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful home, Jeannie! So many precious memories contained within its walls and spilling out into the gorgeous landscape around it. Wishing you a lovely trip with Allison, and a wonderful visit with your Dad. I think you'll enjoy the sleeper cabin. Ron and I travelled that way from Moscow to St. Petersburg a few years back, and it made the trip very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Franceen! We're really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  9. I hope you all have a safe and fun adventure, Jeannie. Change is hard, but I'm glad you have this chance to visit and relive old memories while making new ones. Beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mandy -- I'm really happy you stopped by.

      Delete
  10. That is so true, Stephanie. I try to keep that bigger picture in mind at all times. I appreciate your words.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)