Monday, December 15, 2014

December "Quick Lit"




Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's "Quick Lit" (formerly "Twitterature") post, where we share short reviews of what we've been reading.




Pastrix:  The Cranky, Beautiful Faith
of a Sinner and Saint
  Nadia Bolz-Weber
 I really enjoyed this moving and funny memoir.  In her youth, Bolz-Weber rejected her fundamentalist faith, becoming an alcoholic and stand-up comedian.  After God interrupted her life, she entered recovery; when a fellow AA member died, her status as the only religious person in the group made her the default person to conduct the funeral -- and she soon felt called to be "a pastor to her people."  She now leads a church in Denver called The Church of All Saints and Sinners.  In this book Bolz-Weber describes the stages in her journey and the way God meets her and continues to change her through her ministry experiences.   (Warning:  language.)

******


Road Ends 
 Mary Lawson
I loved Lawson's first book, Crow Lake, and liked her second, The Other Side of the Bridge, but found this one only OK.  The book alternates between the perspectives of three members of the Cartwright family in small-town Ontario:  father Edward, who is haunted by his past and overwhelmed by his present; son Tom, who is stuck in grief over a friend's death; and daughter Megan, who escapes the responsibilities of home by fleeing to England.  Their individual subplots are sort of interesting, but for me they never really come together to create one strong story line.
******

Currently reading:  Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth.  I've been enjoying the BBC series by the same name, about midwives in the London dockyards in the 1950's, so I thought I'd read the memoir on which it is based.

On Dec. 31 I'll post my complete reading list from 2014.  (If you're interested, check out my previous lists from 20132012, 2011, and 2010.)

10 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post, Jeannie. I should list all my books, too! It won't take long. ;-) I aimed for 37 this year, and I did not get much past halfway. (I think?) Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne - thanks! I would love to see what books you read!

      Delete
  2. Hi there, Jeannie. I LOVE reading about books. I'd be interested to know what you think of "Call the Midwife." I enjoyed the series too and thought of reading it. I just started "Frankenstein" today! (I'm reading for my son's lit class since I homeschool.) I'm amazed to be enjoying it. :-) I was also pleased as punch last weekend to pick up a copy of a "vintage" book. (Edith Schaeffer, The Hidden Art of Homemaking, 1971) I've wanted it for years, but never wanted to pay $12 for it on Amazon. Got a great like-new copy for 50 cents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy - I read Frankenstein in university and it was so powerful. And I know what you mean about finding books cheap. I've never read Edith Schaeffer's book but I have heard she was a great writer.

      So far "Call the Midwife" is really interesting; I'm enjoying it more than I would if I hadn't seen the show, I think. She goes into great technical detail about the births so it's not for the squeamish! :-) I think she has several books so I'll have to check out the other ones when I'm finished this one.

      Delete
  3. I loved Pastrix! I called it the best book I read in November. I'm glad to hear you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jessica - yes, Pastrix was great.

      Delete
  4. Pastrix really surprised me. I loved it, but wow, it was not at all what I expected! I'm careful about who I recommend it too, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the recommending bit! As for what I was expecting, I was actually thinking it was going to be very self-consciously witty and clever, so I wasn't sure I'd like it, but I ended up appreciating just how down to earth it was. She is humble, although she's kind of dragged kicking and screaming into humility. In other words she's like a lot of the rest of us! Thanks for coming by, Anne.

      Delete
  5. I've been debating trying Pastrix, but so far I haven't given it a try. You make me think I need to reconsider that decision.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)