Saturday, November 17, 2012

hanging out, hanging in

It's been kind of a long week.  Jonathan has missed three days of school as well as his Extend-a-Family program today.  I've spent a lot of time just hanging out on the couch with him, working on my laptop or reading while he watches DVD's or listens to music.  Thankfully he is feeling better and hasn't had any more seizures.  We've been around the block with this seizure thing long enough to know that just because he had one on Wednesday doesn't mean he'll have one again soon, so we aren't walking on eggs but just moving on as best we can.  He should be ready for school again on Monday; I know I will be!

At times like this it's a really good thing Jonathan likes repetition and sameness.  He's watched the Wiggles' "Big Red Boat" DVD about 20 times this week, and he's done his horse and puppy puzzles about 100 times.

Once again I have to say how thankful I am that I don't have to work away from home.  Being an online instructor lets me work anywhere, so if one of the kids is sick I can be available at home without having to miss work or make a lot of arrangements.  I know not everyone has this luxury, so I don't take it for granted.

I posted on Facebook on Wednesday about Jonathan's seizure, and more than 25 people responded with words of encouragement. Not only is that comforting, but when I'm feeling a bit tied-down the connectedness is really nice.

Rich has been awesome too.  On Wed. morning when Jonathan woke up with a bad cough and had to stay home, I was prepared to cancel my noon lunch date with a friend because Rich had to sleep after his Tues. night shift.  But he just said, "Don't cancel it; I'll just get up at 11:50 and take over."  He got up after about 3.5 hours of sleep so that I could go out.  Mind you, the fact that he didn't have to work the next night helped -- but still.  I sure appreciated it.  Thanks hon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment; I love to hear from readers. (And tell me who you are if you're comfortable doing that -- sometimes the comment form defaults to Anonymous.)